Thursday, January 21, 2010
learning to bless others
I sat down at the computer last night for a few minutes before cleaning up the kitchen, and suddenly I realized I was hearing the faucet running and dishes clanking together. I peeked around the corner to see Anna and Drew cleaning the kitchen....without being asked! I didn't dare interrupt them. When they were finished, Anna ran in saying, "Mama, guess what we just did! We cleaned the kitchen for you!" Now, our kids have chores to do, and I make requests of them to help on a regular basis, so they are used to doing things around the house. But for them to do something that wasn't already expected of them, something I know they DON'T like doing when I ask...wow, I was so happy inside. They seemed thrilled to show what they'd done, and excited to have pleased me as well. We've been talking a lot about diligence and serving others, and I think last night I received one of the blessings that comes from trying our best to be "training up" our children in "the nurture and admonition of the Lord." I'm so grateful to have scripture to guide us as we work daily to raise our children.