




Aden received a 10th birthday gift from Grandpa and Nema Keller a little early this year. My dad called with the offer of flying Aden up to Arkansas for a week of fun and adventure. Drew got to stay for a week during his 10th birthday year, so now it's Aden's turn. He wasn't sure in the beginning that he wanted to fly alone, but in the end, he knew he'd regret the fun he'd miss if he didn't go. So, he took an extra dose of courage and flew up to Arkansas on a Delta flight on Saturday, the day after Jon's birthday, last week. Anna and I took him to the airport while Jon took Drew to a birthday party for a church friend. Aden was excited...so excited that he left his suitcase on the ground next to me and went down the jetway without it! His attendant quickly came back for it. Delta moved him to a window seat and had a bag of snacks waiting when he boarded. And, that was it...Anna and I were alone, watching all the other people board the plane. I had no idea Anna would react the way she did...she was totally fine until she looked out the window at the plane. I asked if she wanted to watch him take off, and yes, she did. While sitting in the window, she suddenly covered her face with her hands, and burst into tears! The crying went on for almost an hour....she'd stop, then start up again. Poor Anna! She and Aden are big buddies, and she's never been away from him before for any length of time. We called Nema and Grandpa for consolation, but I think that made it worse....she wanted to be in Arkansas, too. So, I did what any good mom would do....I distracted her with a meal and shopping at IKEA on the way home! We browsed in the children's section for awhile (who wouldn't want a slide in their room?) and then went on home. Drew is picking up the slack really well, playing with Anna and asking her to sleep in his room with him. And even though we know Aden will have a very special week, we'll be so glad for him to come home.