Ten years ago, I opened my first email account through yahoo....jonjenplus2@yahoo.com. I still use that account, mostly for subscriptions, buying stuff, etc. When Anna came along in 2003, we became jonjenplus3, and a new yahoo address was born. I'm so grateful (and completely thrilled) to now adjust to jonjenplus4. Not sure if there will be a new address....for now, a blog name change is enough for me.
So, here he is pictured below! Yes, baby Bassett #4 is a boy. I discovered he was on his way, very appropriately, on Mother's Day. We wanted to wait to tell the kids after the heartbeat was detected, but our first visit at 9 weeks wasn't early enough to try, according to our doc. Hmmm. Anyway, she thought I was measuring large for date (haha, I assured her my babies run on the larger side) but she wanted to schedule an ultrasound to check out her larger-than-normal, it-could-be-more-than-one hunch. At 11 weeks, 6 days I returned to the office. I went alone, and Jon stayed to take care of Anna, who was still in the midst of whooping cough. I was amazed (it never gets old) to see our little baby on the screen...kicking, waving, wiggling....and realized the flutter feelings I'd been having really were the baby's movements. I was totally caught off guard when the tech. turned to me and asked "So, do we want to know the gender of the baby?". I told her, "yes, we would like to know" thinking she meant at our 20 week visit. She asked me the same question again, prefaced by "are you sure?", and I gave her a puzzled look along with the same response. What I heard next was "because it's a boy!" Sure enough, when I looked up the view on the monitor was plain as day.
I had no idea we could know this early....Jon wasn't even with me, and we still hadn't told ANYONE we were expecting, including the kids. I left the appointment and went to Whole Foods for a treat (cooked sushi and kombucha) and stopped in target to buy a celebratory baby outfit. I purchased a girl onesie (for my new niece) and a boy onesie, and decided to use them that night to reveal the gender. Upon returning home, I pulled out the "I'm the BIG SISTER" shirt I had stashed away for Anna, and later that night during an all-star game commercial, we had Anna join the boys on the couch and handed her the shirt. Drew understood right away. Aden looked at me as if to say, "seriously?" Anna had to think for a minute, then jumped up giggling with excitement. It was great to be able to say, within minutes, that I knew if this was a baby brother or sister. I hadn't told Jon at this point. Two guessed boy, and two guessed girl. When I pulled out the onesie, Anna surprised me by saying "Oh good! Now I won't be the youngest but I still get to be the only girl!"
So, that's the story. Baby boy is still "baby", but we're all working on a name. His ultrasound photos below were taken at 19 weeks, and the one of me was taken last week (22.5 weeks) while I waited in line for a ride at Disney World. The 3D one is incredible to me. The kids were with me at this ultrasound, and we all gasped when baby's little face (the last photo) appeared on the screen.
Check out the first photo...he's already singing!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.